In & Around


Beutiful Locations Around Mysore

Nanjangud ( 20 Km From THE RED LOTUS)

Nanjangud

Nanjangud is a taluk headquarters in Mysore district and is an important center of pilgrimage. Nanjangud is on the banks of the River Kapila (Kabini) tributaries of the Cauvery River. The name of the town is derived from the huge Nanjundeshwara or Srikanteswara temple dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva who is locally known as Nanjundeshwara. It was also known as Garalapuri in the Sthalapuranas. Nanjangud is considered as one of the sacred Hindu pilgrimage center and also known as the 'Dakshina Kashi' (southern Kashi). The temple town of Nanjangud is situated about 23 Km. from Mysore and 162 Km. from Bangalore.
As per Hindu mythology, while searching for nectar of immortality the Gods and demons churned the ocean. During this churning, poison emanated first out of the ocean, to prevent the poison from spreading across the universe and to destroy it, Lord Shiva came to the rescue and drank the poison. Lord Shiva's wife Parvathi then held his throat tightly to prevent the poison from spreading to the rest of his body and killing him. Narada held his mouth so that he did not vomit it out. The poison remained in his throat, making it blue in colour. So Lord Shiva is also called Neelakantha, or "the blue-thorated one". Nanjanagud literally means the place where Nanjundeshwara (God who drank poison) resides. Nanjundeswara is also described as one who cures diseases of his devotees.
Nanjangud has been a major Shaiva centre since times immemorial. The temple is a large complex structure in the Dravidan style, and appears to have been originally built by the Gangas (or Cholas) and additions were made to it through centuries till 1900, by the Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, Palegars and others. Wodeyars of Mysore have provided various grants to renovate the temple. It was renovated by Krishnaraja Wodeyar III and the tall gopura was built in 1845. It is one of the biggest temples of Karnataka, 385 ft. in length and 160 ft. in breadth.
The Muslim ruler Tipu Sultan had strong faith in God Nanjundeshwara called him as 'Hakim Nanjundeshwara', as his favorite and beloved elephant's eye aliment was cured by administering the holy water (theertha) from the temple. He has donated a Lingam made of jade along with an emerald necklace.